Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Klitschko Chagaev Press Conference

On Monday, June 15th current WBO/IBF/IBO heavyweight champion Wladimir "Steelhammer" Klitschko and WBA "champion in recess" Ruslan Chagaev held a press conference in Gelsenkirchen ahead of their fight this Saturday, June 20th at the Veltins Arena, Gelsenkirchen, Germany. Here is what was said at the press conference translated from German to English:




Klaus-Peter Kohl: "We have applied for the WBA to make this fight to also be for Ruslan WBA title to make it a unification bout."
"We haven't heard anything official yet. It is clear to us that Ruslan Chagaev is the only and full WBA world champion."

"We feel this way because of the purse split for the cancelled fight against Valuev, Ruslan would have received 55% to Valuev’s 45% but everyone can form their own opinion on that."

Emmanuel Stewart: " Wladimir told me to speak in German , Sorry!"
"I’m very excited about the fight between Wladimir and Chagaev because in America we felt this was the best fight that could be made for Wladimir Klitschko....David Haye was fighting him (Wladimir) only because he has a big mouth, he had never done anything in the Heavyweight division to qualify him for a heavyweight championship fight"
"When we first were told about the cancellation of David Haye the first thing that Wladimir told his Manager was ‘Get me whoever you can, I am going to fight on June 20th if we cancel the fight we’re going to disappoint a lot of people, I’m not going to waste my time. I don’t care who you get, you don’t need to check with me… I’m going to fight."
"Valuev was mentioned but Chagaev was the best choice as Chagaev was already in training to fight someone who was much taller than Wladimir."
"The handicap is Wladimir’s because he is fighting a Southpaw." (as David Haye is an Orthodox fighter).
Wladimir interrupted "OK, but I’ve fought three Southpaws in my last 7 fights anyway’.
"But we feel it’s the best fight that can be made at this time in the Heavyweight Division for Wladimir."

"I think this fight is going to be a very crucial fight in the heavyweight division and I’m very excited about it and the fact that the fans are still buying tickets and excited, because this is a better fight than the David Haye one was."

Ruslan Chagaev: "It has always been a dream for me to fight in Schalke, And Now its Becoming a reality".
"I have met the football team of Schalke previous to my fight in 2008 against Matt Skelton. I gave them a boxing lession with my trainer Michael Timm."
"I'm so excited about the fight and Wladimir’s size difference doesn't bother me because of I have already prepared myself for Valuev who taller and heavier."
"I'm expecting to fight for the full 12 rounds, It’s in god's hands what will happen on Saturday.
"I don't have much more to say as my hands will speak in the ring."

Wladimir Klitschko: "Chagaev is the best opponent I could have asked for. He is the ideal solutions after the cancellation from David Haye. He is the third best boxer after my brother and myself."

"He also holds the WBA belt and is the true world champion as he already shown by defeating Nikolai Valuev."


Michael Timm (Chagaev-Trainer): "We didn't come here to be just make up the numbers, We are here to win the this fight on Saturday."
"Ruslan has the talent and we have worked so hard he has had no break in his training and we are very happy to have this chance."
"I would also like to thank Wladimir for taking this fight."

Here are some additional quotes.....



Wladimir Klitschko: “It’s sad that David cannot compete. However, I’m looking into the future and forward to fighting against Ruslan. He is WBA Champion, very experienced and a tough challenger. For my preparation, I had to change my sparring partners from orthodox to southpaw.“

Ruslan Chagaev: “Last week my fight against Valuev was cancelled. Now I am fighting against Wladimir Klitschko in front of 60.000 spectators. I am looking forward to the arena in Schalke, the crowd as well as Klitschko’s three belts which I will take home with me. I have no fear of Wladimir. I’m also a world champion, not only him. I’ve always said I would box against anyone. The size difference doesn’t bother me. That’s Wladimir’s problem because I have already defeated a big boxer in Valuev.

Bernd Boente, manager Klitschko: “We always wanted to stick to June 20 as we do not want to disappoint the Schalke fans. Ruslan Chagaev is reigning WBA Champion and a high-class boxer. The fight night in Schalke will take place as planned and I am sure we all will have an unforgettable evening“

Klaus-Peter Kohl, Universum Box-Promotion: “This is a huge chance for Ruslan. Negotiations with the Klitschko Management have been very professional and quick. The planned event is simply gigantic and will find its place in the history of boxing.”

Ruslan Chagaev’s trainer Michael Timm: The chances are fifty-fifty. Ruslan is WBA champion and Wladimir and has a few more belts. There is a lot on the line, but both have their chances. Above all I’m happy for Ruslan. After the theater in Helsinki, he now gets the fair chance that he deserves. We’re still in training. Next week we’ll go once again into sparring, and then we’ll refine and work on our tactics. Wladimir is good at moving in reverse, has a good jab. But Ruslan is a strong guy who can take a punch and then fire back. I’m glad that we can offer great event to the boxing fans.“

Klitschko vs Chagaev Press Conference Video


*Press Conference not in English, but in German




Source 1

Source 2


No comments:

Post a Comment

Other Klitschko News....

Popular Posts