Monday, April 6, 2009

Povetkin Ready For Klitschko?

Apparently after going a full 10 rounds with the light fisted Jason Estrada, #1 IBF heavyweight challenger Alexander Povetkin feels he's ready current IBF/WBO/IBO heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko.

Povetkin Quotes


“I finally want to accomplish my dream and fight [Klitschko]. It will be a completely different fight from today because Klitschko is much bigger and not as fast as Estrada. I still have to improve a few areas of my game but I am ready for him. I cannot wait for the fight to happen.”

Wilfried Sauerland Quotes


*Povetkin's manager talks about the last fight..
“Had this fight lasted only a little longer, Povetkin would have stopped Estrada. After his injury it took him a little time to find his rhythm, but we are pleased with his comeback. He has not fought for a long time, so this was a good test.”

Estrada Quotes


“He is a strong boxer. I think it was a close and a very good fight. I had expected him to be a little more aggressive, so I had to change my game plan. I tried to jab more but he took it away from me.”




Sorry Alexander, but you will never be ready. Unless you are talking strictly a payday, Wladimir has too much in his favor going into this bout.

In my opinion, any advantages than Povetkin has will be easily nullified by Wladimir while his weaknesses will easily be exploited.

For example I believe Povetkin's strong points are his confidence, good inside combinations, and work rate. Povetkin is not nearly fast enough on his feet to get inside of Wladimir to work his combinations he needs , and the constant pressure will only work if he hopes Wladimir will get tired. But, coming into his several last fights Wladimir has shown excellent conditioning. By round 5 if there is one, Povetkin's confidence will be out the window. Now on to his weaknesses.

Coming into this fight Povetkin has many weaknesses. The most obvious is that he is going to be at a severe height, reach, and size disadvantage. He is also very susceptible to being hit, especially by right hands which Wladimir throws harder than anyone in the business. Povetkin also does not have very good power in his punches. He does have a fairly good KO percentage but all of his good opponents have been mainly smaller heavies with light punching ability(Byrd, Chambers, Estrada) who lost due to Povetkin's constant pressure and work rate catching up with them.

So what you have here is a very confident guy who does not like to lose and who is going to be alot smaller and not quick enough on his feet to get in on Wladimir(even if he does get in does not have enough power to bother Wladimir) who is going to eat the heaviest hands he's ever been hit with as he tries to get in on him. So either the fight will be stopped, a KO will happen, or if Povetin is extremely stubborn and pushes on way further than he should, a serious career ending injury may occur. Povetkin in my opinion is the perfect type of fighter for Wladimir to face. If they do fight I think this will be one of Wladimir's easiest fights he's had for awhile.

Source


No comments:

Post a Comment

Other Klitschko News....

Popular Posts