Thursday, July 15, 2010

Klitschko vs Povetkin September 11th

It's now official that the WBO,IBF,IBO, and Ring heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko (54-3, 48 KOs) will defend his titles against the IBF #1 mandatory contender Alexander Povetkin (19-0, 14 KOs) on September 11th at the Commerzbank-Arena in Frankfurt, Germany, which will have a capacity of 54,000. The Commerzbank-Arena is the home of German soccer team Eintracht Frankfurt.

Klitschko Quotes

"Alexander Povetkin is a very strong opponent. We are both Olympic Champions, which stands for itself. It will be a very tough fight, but I have no doubt that I will keep my titles. In the beginning of my career, I fought in Frankfurt twice and won. Now, I am looking forward to fighting in this fantastic stadium in front of a great audience..”

Povetkin Quotes

I had to wait pretty long for this chance and will now get Klitschko’s belts. Right now, I am training in the US with ten sparring partners, among them former world champions. This is the biggest fight of my career and I will be better prepared than ever before. Now it is my time, I am the future of the heavyweight division.”

Bernd Bönte Quotes

** Managing Director of Klitschko Management Group (KMG)

"The Commerzbank-Arena in Frankfurt is a gigantic stadium and I am very glad that we will have this top fight in this venue. Together with the management of the arena and our TV partner RTL we will arrange an unforgettable fight night.”


On paper this is a intriguing matchup with 2 former Olympic superheavyweight champions (Wladimir 1996 and Povetkin 2004), with Povetkin having no losses and Wladimir being a dominant champion. But, in all reality Povetkin isn't really a superheavyweight like Wladimir is. Wladimir is the bigger man. A much bigger man who is in much better phsyical shape than Povetkin ever has been. He knows how to keep his distance and can hit an opponent with either hand with superior force. Alexander Povetkin unless something changes drastically with defense is going to be a sitting duck to the overhand right of Wladimir's. I don't see this fight going past 5....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Other Klitschko News....

Popular Posts